Designed for current or prospective technical leaders wishing to improve their business acumen and management effectiveness.
This noncredit certificate program is designed to teach the fundamental business and management skills needed to effectively meet the unique requirements for leading engineering and science professionals. Divided into five core business and management modules, the program is structured as a four-day boot camp.
- A business and management toolbox for engineers and scientists
- Instructors drawn from University of Delaware faculty and industry experts
- Course format focuses on case studies and projects relevant for engineers and scientists
- Emphasis on practical, immediately applicable skills and techniques
Who should attend
- Managers of engineers and scientists looking to hone their business and leadership skills
- Engineers and scientists on a career path to develop into technical managers
- Cross-functional team leaders who interface with scientists and engineers
Management and Leadership Part I—Understanding Individual Behavior
- Personality modeling
- Attitudes and emotions in organizations
- Motivating for performance
- Managerial decision making
Management and Leadership Part II—Interpersonal and Organizational Dynamics
- Team effectiveness
- Conflict resolution and negotiation
- Leading others
Business and Finance
- Financial statements
- Cost analysis
- Profitability analysis
- Investment and rate of return
- Project management components and tools
- Planning a project
- Executing and controlling a project
- Closing a project
- Introduction to Microsoft Project
- Why is product development critical to a company?
- Product development stages
- Stage-Gate process
- Idea generation
- Design and development
- Product launch
Learner OutcomesThis comprehensive four-day program delivers the fundamental business and management skills needed to lead an effective technical team while also remaining synchronous with overall organization goals.
Be sure to book rooms early! Ask if the University of Delaware affiliated hotel rates are available for the dates you are requesting from the following hotels:
- Courtyard by Marriott – UD Campus Hotel – 400 Pencader Way, Newark, DE, 1-302-737-0900
- Embassy Suites, Newark – 654 S. College Ave., Newark, DE. 1-302-368-8000
- Homewood Suites – 640 S. College Ave., Newark, DE, 1-855-605-0320
Continuing education credits
Upon successful completion of the program, students are awarded 2.8 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 28 Professional Development Hours (PDHs).
All instructional materials are included in the registration fee for this program.
Disability accommodations at the University of Delaware are designed to provide equal educational opportunities for all Continuing Education students. Reasonable accommodations are provided on a case-by-case basis with supporting documentation. Click here for details about requesting disability accommodations.