Leverage telehealth technologies to improve access to health care and manage the business aspects of telehealth
Telehealth initiatives hold exciting potential to address health care access issues in Delaware and the region, whether from shortfalls in critical health care specialties, or in under-served geographic locations. Telehealth also provides innovative ways to meet the demands of an aging population, reduce inappropriate use of emergency departments, prevent hospital readmissions, bring care to the most appropriate setting and more.
This certificate program will provide the foundations of telehealth for participants interested in utilizing telehealth for the delivery of health care.
This is a self-paced online course with some scheduled requirements and assignments.
Course OutlineThe Advanced Telehealth Coordinator course begins by providing participants with the foundation needed to understand the benefits and uses of telehealth as well as the role of the telehealth coordinator. As the curriculum advances, participants dive deeper into the knowledge and skills necessary to support the use of telehealth applications within a health care organization. The course culminates in the exploration of telehealth project and program management.
This 15-week course provides a comprehensive program of instruction, exploration, discussion and practice. While examining the practical, technical and business aspects of telehealth, participants will also explore the creative aspects of utilizing technology to deliver health care in order to prepare for the continued growth of telehealth.
Course sessions include:
- Introduction to Telehealth
- eICU and Telehealth Resources
- Funding and Reimbursement
- Policies that Impact Telehealth (Parts 1 and 2)
- Telemental Health and Ethics
- Quality, Outcomes and Data Collection
- Telehealth in the Home and Remote Patient Monitoring
- Starting a Chronic Diseases Telehealth Clinic and Unique Applications
- Operational Considerations (Parts 1 and 2)
- More Successful Uses of Telehealth; Telehealth Program Planning
- Introduction to Telehealth Program Management (Parts 1 and 2)
- The Advanced Telehealth Coordinator: Tying It All Together
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify available telehealth technologies and appropriate uses for them
- Explain the benefits of and barriers to implementing telehealth
- Understand the business and financial aspects of telehealth
- Analyze key legislative, regulatory and organizational policies that impact the use of telehealth
- Identify data elements to collect to support quality improvement/quality assurance
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of the telehealth coordinator
- Communicate telehealth concepts to organizational members as well as to health care consumers
- Identify elements of a successful telehealth encounter and quality telepresence
- Develop efficient clinical telehealth workflows
- Identify strategies that support effective telehealth program development
- Draft organizational protocols to support telehealth
- Identify strategies for measuring and communicating program successes and lessons learned
- Consider language, culture and disability in using telehealth technologies
There are no academic prerequisites to enroll in this program.
Who Should Participate?
Clinicians, administrators, managers, health care IT and other professionals from a wide variety of health care disciplines including:
- physician assistants
- nurse practitioners
- social workers
- physical therapists
- occupational therapists
- speech therapists
- respiratory therapists
- dietitians/nutritionists and more
This program brings together a faculty of experts who have helped pioneer telehealth implementation in Delaware. Read the full story on UDaily.
For More Information